Friday, March 4, 2011

Updates on the Fuzzfront

A veritable pile of rats. Freya (she was moving when I took this), Lilith, Midna, Anise, Ai's behind, and Absinthe. I don't know why they're all piled on one another like that - there are four other hammocks available to them, including the lower level of the hammock they are on (which is a lot larger). But, they seem to be comfortable, I suppose.

I've bought them a new cage, a Critter Nation, which on one hand will be much larger than their current living space, and on the other hand will be much easier to clean. I'm going to make liners for their new home, and hopefully I'll be able to move them in the day the new cage gets here - hopefully by March 10. I'm really excited to not have to deal with this cage anymore. It's become a hassle to clean.

I've also received some information on spaying the older girls. Through North Star Rescue I learned about a spay and neuter clinic in Fremont, called For Paws. They're a lot less expensive than what the vet was asking, although I'm still not completely certain how much they're going to ask for (I had been told by the rescue that it would probably be around 80$ per rat, but it seems like it might be more than that). I'm also uncertain if the vet has successfully spayed a rat before, or if she has just read the literature on doing so.

I'll probably have all the information I need about that next week.

2 comments:

  1. That looks like an awesome cage! Getting my boy neutered was really pricey, I hope you find a good deal. They're so cute all cuddled up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Distracting Mommy while Ai sneaks a drag on the cigarette ducked out of sight! Scandelous!

    ReplyDelete