Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Shopping

So, Tene and I have been on a Paleo/Primal inspired diet for the last six months or so, and I thought I would talk about it.

I typically shop once a week, spending over $100 maybe every other week. The last time I went shopping (On Monday, July 4) I spent about $170, mainly on fruits, vegetables, and meat, between two stores - Trader Joe's and Safeway.

Last time I went to Trader Joe's I got green onions, six pounds of sweet potatoes (these will be gone within a week), garlic, plums, a 24 oz box of blueberries (already about half gone), mushrooms, bell peppers, bananas, 2 pounds strawberries, and nectarines (four of them, two are gone now). I love Trader Joe's. Everything there is organic, and it's a lot more affordable than, say, Whole Foods.

Then there's Safeway, where I got two dozen eggs (one dozen gone! I make waffles almost every morning, and for two waffles it takes four eggs ... so ... ), As well as eight pounds of frozen chicken breast, steak, asparagus, and Brussel's sprouts. I also got my non-Paleo/Primal food at Safeway: two types of hot cocoa, Nutella, a ton of olive oil, vanilla creamer, and vanilla extract.

In all, most of the food - especially the meat - will last us for a week and a half to two weeks, if not longer (the olive oil, for example, should last us a couple of months).

I think we eat pretty healthy around here. We try to eat mostly, if not completely, whole foods. It's not perfect, for example when I was sick over the last two weeks, and as a result I kind of let everything go. We ate out most days, usually at Chipotle (which isn't horrible, as far as "eating out" goes), and a lot of our fresh food went bad (which is another reason that my most recent shopping excursion cost so much). Also we obviously eat some not-as-healthy-as-could-be-foods (Nutella, hot cocoa, etc). But I think we do really well, over all.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a pretty good diet, I would think. I LOVE Trader Joes, I'm just sad we don't have them here in UT. Stupid UT Liquor Licenses-that's the whole reason they wont come here.

    I shop at Whole Foods mostly, but it is VERY expensive.

    ReplyDelete