Sunday, April 6, 2008

Update on Min

This is an update on Min and what the vet told me yesterday.

The tumors are, in fact, tumors and they are most likely benign. I could have an "easy surgery" to have them removed, but the surgery, boarding, feeding, medicine, etc will cost 350$; 275$ more than I expected to be paying (I was unaware that I would be paying for boarding/a hospital stay).

The tumors are painless and won't actually harm Min - except for making it difficult for her to move around (because of their position, this could become a problem very quickly). They'll continue to grow unless removed, eventually leading to Min being unable to move around without difficulty - which would then lead to euthanasia.

I did some more research (I'm getting good at this!) and apparently rats rarely live passed 3 years - and that's if they're actually bred well. Since Min came from PetSmart, I highly doubt that she'd live very long even with surgery anyway.

This is a hard decision, and I'm going to be figuring things out over the next week. Cost-benefit analysis doesn't work so well when it's your pet's life on the line, though :/

3 comments:

  1. cost-benefit analysis never worked. I'm sorry Washi! At least its not spreading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least it's benign. Still...yuck. I'm so sorry Washi!

    ReplyDelete