Monday, November 8, 2010

Letters Letters Everywhere!

NaNoWriMo is going well. I'm a two days behind, but I'm planning on spending most, if not all, of tomorrow writing up a storm (finally got Pandora and Rdio onto my cellphone, so I don't even need my laptop to be connected to the internet!), and hopefully I'll get back on track. I must write the life of this intriguing mail carrier!

I fell behind because of two things: One, I got tired of my story and plot. So I time warped into the future of my character, added a second character, and stuck them in a Gaslamp Romance. It's turning into a cute love story - and is going to include some themes about what I want from my own life. Second, I'm sick. I picked up a cold somewhere and I've felt more or less terrible. I've also been less than stellar emotionally, and I really should go see a doctor soon for recommendations to ... a lot of things (gyno, sleep therapist, psychologist, psychiatrist, a doctor (or dentist, but a doctor is preferred) specializing in the jaw ... the list never ends).

Speaking of health, I went to the dentist two weeks ago and found out that my life of no cavities ever was over. I had five of the little buggers. One for each of my back-most molars, with one of them having two! Well, I scheduled a visit to have them taken care of (and a deep cleaning). I was scared and nervous about two things - the shot, and the drill.

Before the first appointment to take care of the right side of my mouth I had never been conscious for a shot in my mouth. I've been numbed before, but always under sedation - once when my wisdom teeth were removed (I was 15 or 16 at the time), and nearly two years ago when I had my front gum repaired, both times I was put under sedation before I ever saw the needle come at my mouth. After talking to some friends I was less worried (apparently Novocaine is different then whatever the used to numb my eyelid for that surgery/biopsy, which burned before numbing), but still a little anxious about the thought of a needle piercing my gums. More than that, I was worried I would freak out at the sound of the drill - and of the drill drilling away my teeth.

I did the best I could to explain my fears to the dentist, who ended up prescribing me some Valium, which I took, and which allowed me to get through my appointments with few problems (my iPod helped too). I've decided that Valium is fine and good for serious circumstances that make me feel really anxious, but it's quite overkill. I ended up coming home and sleeping it off afterward.

After the break I'm going to type up some letter to people I've noticed while driving around Palo Alto and Mountain View, otherwise, that's it!

Dear Mr Dog-Walker

I know that California doesn't have a leash law - I don't know if Palo Alto has one or not. Still, it's probably a good idea to use a leash. I know, I know, your really pretty dog was following you as you crossed the crosswalk in front of my car ... but you didn't have his leash in your hand. No, instead he was carrying it in his mouth. So yes, he was technically on his leash, but I don't think that's within the spirit of the law.

Really? I was afraid I he was going to dart out into the road and get hit by a car. I've seen it from plenty of trained dogs. They see things like squirrels and forget all their training. It would be a pity if that happened to your dog.

Best Wishes, The Chick in the White Taurus with the (o_O) expression on her face.

***

Dear Homeless Fundraiser Guy

I wish I could have taken a picture of your sign before you disappeared from across the street of the Palo Alto Whole Foods. It was awesome. I'm sorry I passed you so many times without giving you change - I felt bad about it (especially because your sign made me laugh), but I don't carry cash.

I hope you eventually get that trip for two to Tahiti!

Best Wishes, The Laughing Girl in the Taurus Who Passed You Every Day

Note: The sign in question here, as near as I can remember stated:
Homeless Harassment! Can't take it anymore! Getting out of here! Need two tickets to Tahiti, 26 c will help us! God bless

I am uncertain how serious the sign was. I never spoke to Homeless Fundraiser Guy

***

Dear Scooter Dad

I assume you care for your child, but you really need to be more careful on your scooter, especially when he/she is sitting behind you. Remember: there's only your clothes between you and the road - wear protective gear, and more than just a helmet. Especially if you're going to do stupid moves like speeding toward a red light in the left turn lane only to swerve into my lane, which was going straight, at the last minute and ending up in perpendicular/intersecting traffic. I thought I was going to see a nasty accident. I'm glad nothing bad happened.

Worried, The Girl in the Taurus

***

Dear Pedestrians Everywhere

Has no one taught you to look both ways before you step out into the street? Or to only cross at crosswalks? Would it really kill you to take the ten extra steps to the crosswalk - no, seriously, it's right there and I wouldn't have to slam on my brakes to stop from smooshing you because you suddenly appear from between two cars. It's less than half a block away! They put crosswalks in the middle of the block, just for you! What about waiting for the light to change so you can cross?

Also, please, for the love of all that is adorable, wear something reflective if you're going to be out at night. I don't have heat vision. If you're wearing all dark colors, I can't see you, and every time you pop out at me it makes me feel like I'm about to have a heart attack. Please, don't kill me, and I won't smash you with my car.

No hard feelings, mostly, The Panicky Girl in the Taurus

No comments:

Post a Comment