Saturday, December 12, 2009

Decisions Decisions

Lately I've been trying to decide what I want for my near- and far-term future. Looking at near-term as within the next year (possibly 2 years), and far-term as 2 to 5 years in the future. I've been having a lot of trouble trying to decide.

Some basic problems I've come up against are that I no longer know what I want to do for my life. I don't think I want to teach anymore (unless I'm teaching college), and I'm pretty much completely certain that I don't want to teach English anymore (unless I can teach creative writing). I don't know what I do want to do, though, just what I don't.

So, here's what I'm debating:
Near-term (from 2010-2011)
  • I don't know if I want to continue going to school here in SLC at the Community College. In investigating what I would need to do to get my AS I found out that it's very possible that the schools in San Francisco I would likely apply to wouldn't accept my AS as completion of general education requirements. I was originally planning on completing my AS here because I was afraid of my credits "expiring" (due to some misinformation), which won't happen. So now I don't know what to do.
  • If I don't go to school I think I'm going to focus on my cooking and baking, and my writing.
  • Tene and I were planning on moving to SF after I finished my degree. Now that I might not be finishing my degree here ... should we move sooner? I'm afraid of moving out of UT, and as a side effect away from 95% of my friends.
  • I'm trying to decide if I should get a part-time job (regardless of school or not). It would be nice to have some extra income, but I had so much anxiety just with school this semester that I don't know if I would be able to handle a job, even a part-time "monkey-push-the-button" job.
  • I'm now going to be seeing a psychiatrist for my mood problems. Before we move I would prefer to be on a stable set of medications, if only because I don't want to have to wait even longer to find a psychiatrist (I'm not going to be seeing my new doctor until January ... so ... ).
  • I want pets. When and where ever we move next I am so going to make sure that our apartment is pet-friendly. I hope to have three (maybe four!) rats, and possibly a kitty.
  • I want to get my digestion problems figured out. I'm debating beginning an Exclusion, or Rotation Diet within the next year.
  • I want to have our Commitment Ceremony on June 12, our one year anniversary. I mentioned it to my mother, and she pointed out that it might be weird to have this ceremony so long after the "real" wedding. I don't think this is actually too much of a problem. I'm basically going to treat the ceremony as our wedding.
Long-Term (2012-2015)
  • I don't know what I want to do with my life. I'm currently debating between some form of Biology (following the lead of friends Jekka and Kayleigh - I am considering Marine Biology), or possibly Physics (with the end goal of teaching college). Another consideration is to get a business degree, or just open a coffee shop, cafe, or clothing boutique (or some other small shop).I'm also considering aspiring to be a housewife - an idea that sounds very nice to me.
That's actually all for now. It's late and I'm having a hard time thinking. So, probably more later!

2 comments:

  1. Hi love! Just checked into your blog. Don't feel so overwhelmed. It's so completely normal. If you are looking for input. I think a commitment ceremony is lovely. Not the "norm" or usual for Utah, but I think you should do it. :) Also mediate, ponder, or pray for direction, whichever works for you. I personally like to just take a quiet moment and tune in with myself and the universe. It helps. Much love to you sis.
    ~marci

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to say MEDITATE....NOT mediate. Although its kind of poetic that I said mediate. Do you ever find yourself mediating with yourself??? I do. blah blah blah.

    Love ya
    ~m

    ReplyDelete